THIS CALL FOR ENTRY IS NOW CLOSED.
The Westport Arts Center announces its Call For Entries for SELECTS 2018, our twelfth annual summer member artist exhibition.
The exhibition will be juried by Joe Amrhein and Susan Swenson of Pierogi Gallery (NYC), arguably known as one of the most prominent established galleries dedicated to emerging artists.
Joe Amrhein is the co-owner/director of Pierogi Gallery (NYC) and The Boiler (Williamsburg, Brooklyn) and Susan Swenson is co-owner of Pierogi Gallery and co-founder and editor of Pierogi Press.
Submissions were due by May 16, 2018.
SELECTS 2018 will feature up to ten artists. You must be a member of the Westport Arts Center, or become a member, to be eligible for submission. The entry fee is $45. Painting, Drawing, Video, Digital, Photography, Printmaking, Ceramics, Sculpture, Mixed Media are all eligible for submission.
The Arts Center will notify all artists on May 23, 2018. SELECTS 2018 will open on June 22. For any questions on eligibility, submission guidelines or the upcoming exhibition, please contact the Westport Arts Center at 203.222-7070.
- Submissions must be received by Wednesday, May 16, 2018.
- Accepted artists will be notified on Wednesday, May 23, 2018.
- Work must be received by Monday, June 11, 2018.
- All work must be ready to hang. Please specifically state on your entry ‘to be installed without a frame’ if two-dimensional work is intentionally left unframed. You must note any special hanging and/or installation instructions your work may require.
- 2-D work, including frame, may not exceed 72 inches in height.
- 3-D work may not exceed 72 inches in any direction.
- No works may exceed 200 lbs.
- You may submit between 3-8 works of art.
- Artwork that has previously been exhibited at Westport Arts Center is not permitted.
About The Jurors:
Joe Amrhein is the founder and co-owner / director of Pierogi Gallery (NYC) and The Boiler (Williamsburg, Brooklyn) and is an active visual artist as well. Known for its inventive program, Pierogi was launched in 1994. Pierogi exhibits the work of contemporary emerging and mid-career artists in a wide variety of media; from drawing and painting, to sculpture, installation, photography, and video. Their artists range from recent graduates having their first exhibitions, to veterans who have been included in important exhibitions such as the Venice Biennale, Site Santa Fe, and the Whitney Biennial. Pierogi has monthly solo shows, participates in art fairs such as the Armory Show and Frieze (NYC), among others and is also known for its Flat Files that house original works by 800+ artists. As an artist, Amrhein is a painter who works primarily with text on a variety of media, including translucent vellum and glass. He has exhibited widely in the US and Europe and lives in Brooklyn, New York.
Susan Swenson holds an MFA from the Bennington Writing Seminars (Bennington, VT) and an MA from the New School for Social Research Graduate Studies (NY, NY). Her poetry and writing have appeared in AGNI, The Brooklyn Rail, Cabinet Magazine, and elsewhere and her artist interviews have appeared in numerous exhibition catalogues. She is the co-founder and editor of Pierogi Press. She is co-owner of Pierogi with her husband, Joe Amrhein, and currently lives in Brooklyn, NY.